You seldom print anything with Chromebook. But – what if you have to on the rarest of occasions? We have got you covered if you are seeking an answer to the question, “How do I connect my chrome book to a wireless printer?”
You almost require zero paper prints if you are a Chromebook user. All the laptops that support Chromebook use various cloud services to transfer and save documents. Therefore, you may have already forgotten the last time you printed a document.
However, paper is not entirely obsolete yet. Someone such as your clients or university professor can still ask you to take a print of a certain document and you must always be ready to oblige without any delay. Similarly, you might need a print for travel itinerary as well as movie, airplane, or train tickets. Therefore, you must know how to connect printer to Chromebook.
We will walk you through the entire process in our article.
How to Setup Printer on Chromebook?
First of all, we will set up a printer wirelessly on your Chromebook. It is a very simple process. Just don’t forget to connect your printer and the Chromebook to the same Wi-Fi network.
The steps to install a printer on a Chromebook are as below.
- Switch on your Chromebook
- Select time at the bottom right corner of Chromebook’s screen.
- Now click on Printing and then Printers
- Click on Available Printers to Save.
- Keep in mind that the name of your wireless printer must appear on top of the screen under Unsaved Printers.
- Click on Save when you see your printer in the list.
The process will complete within seconds and very smoothly in most cases. However, you can check some advanced settings if you are experiencing problems.
- Select Set up next to the name of your printer
- Select the model and manufacturer of your printer from the pop-up screen.
- Click on Add.
- Now, the printer should appear on top of the screen.
Sometimes, the printer still won’t appear even if you try the above settings. In this case, you can add PostScript Printer Description (PPD). It is also quite easy because you just have to search for “Or Specify Your Printer PPD” in the pop-up screen and click on “Browse” right next to it.
How Do I Manually Add a Printer to My Chromebook?
If none of the above works, the alternative is to add the printer manually to the Chromebook. You can do this by adding all the information such as the printer’s name, protocol, IP address, and queue yourself. However, public printers such as in schools, workplaces, and libraries may require administration permission before you can proceed.
How to Setup a Printer on Chromebook Using a USB Cable?
Another method to connect a printer to your Chromebook is to use USB cable. It is particularly helpful if you cannot set up the printer wirelessly. It is also the best option for older printers.
Unlike the wireless method where you have to connect the printer and Chromebook to a wireless network, you need to connect the Chromebook with the printer with a USB cable. Most printers are plug and play and therefore, your laptop will instantly recognize your printer. The remaining process is a breeze to complete.
Printing a Document on a Chromebook
After completing the Chromebook printer setup, it is time to take your first print. It is also incredibly easy. Just follow the below steps and you are good to go.
- Open the document or page that you want to print.
- Now press Control + P simultaneously
- Search for the down arrow next to the Destination and click on it.
- Click on “See more…”
- Now you will see your printer. Simply click on it.
- Click Manage if you don’t see your printer.
- Finally, click on Print and your printer will start printing.
However, ensure that all the settings are the way they are supposed to be before hitting “Print.” For example, you might want to change the paper size, margins, etc. You can alter all these things in “More Settings.”
Troubleshooting Printer on a Chromebook
Every person who uses a printer has problems. Sometimes, the printer just refuses to print no matter whatever you do. You even cannot figure out whether the problem is with the printer or the computer and the same is true for Chromebook users. However, it is usually just a minor glitch and you can easily resolve it in the Settings.
- Select Settings after selecting time in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click on Advanced, then Printing, and finally, Printers.
- Click on your printer’s name and subsequently on Edit.
- Now, you have to go through and check all the printer information you have added. Check for problems like spelling mistakes.
Another thing you can do is to remove everything and set up your printer again. You can do so by simply clicking on the Remove right next to the printer’s name.
It is best to contact the printer manufacturer if you cannot connect your printer with the Chromebook after trying all the above methods.
Paper printing is not as common as it used to be a few years ago. However, it is still very much in vogue and you never know when you need to print a document. Therefore, you must know how Chromebook connects with a wireless printer and it will come in handy when you require a paper print for any task.
The setup requires only a few clicks in most cases. Connecting the printer manually or through a USB cable is also very easy. It doesn’t take long but save you from a lot of frustration when you need a print.